Friday, 24 July 2009

And What to do With my Resources?



“Hurricane Jeanne took all that I
had…my job and my home are gone.
Iused to havefood. Now I beg in the market.”

Rosy-Claire Zepherin, Gonaives, Haiti, 2005



“We are eating only a little once a day to make the maize last longer,
but even then
it will last only a short time. Then we are in trouble.”

Margaret Mpondi, Mphako, Malawi, 2002



“If the rains fail like they did last year we will go hungry.
The rich have savings.
They have stocks of food. They can sell their oxen for cash.
But what do I have? If I sell my ox how will I plant next year?
If my crop fails we have nothing. It is always like that.
Everything depends on rain.”

Kaseyitu Agumas, Lat Gayin, southern Gonda, Ethiopia, 2007



“We had never seen such floods before. Lots of houses were destroyed, lots of people died,
our agricultural land was submerged, crops stored in houses were lost. Many livestock
were lost too. We were just not prepared to face such big flooding.
So we didn’t have any savings of money or food.”

Pulnima Ghosh Mahishura Gram Panchayat, Nadia District, West Bengal, India, 2007