Tuesday, 27 January 2009

Of the Living God



For forty days the flood kept coming on the earth,
and as the waters increased they lifted the ark high above the earth.

The waters rose and increased greatly on the earth,
and the ark floated on the surface of the water.

They rose greatly on the earth,
and all the high mountains under the entire heavens were covered.

The waters rose
and covered the mountains to a depth of more than twenty feet.

-Genesis 7. 17-20


Then God said,

"Take your son,
your only son, Isaac,
whom you love,
and go to the region of Moriah.
Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering
on one of the mountains I will tell you about."

-Genesis 22.2


So now, go.
I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt."

But Moses said to God,

"Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?"

And God said,

"I will be with you.

And this will be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you:

When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this mountain."

- Exodus 3. 10-12


Goliath stood and shouted to the ranks of Israel,

"Why do you come out and line up for battle?

Am I not a Philistine, and are you not the servants of Saul?

Choose a man and have him come down to me.

If he is able to fight and kill me, we will become your subjects;

but if I overcome him and kill him, you will become our subjects and serve us."

Then the Philistine said,

"This day I defy the ranks of Israel!

Give me a man and let us fight each other."

On hearing the Philistine's words, Saul and all the Israelites were dismayed and terrified.

-1 Samuel 17. 8-11


David said to the Philistine,

"You come against me with sword and spear and javelin,

but I come against you in the name of the LORD Almighty,

the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied.

This day the LORD will hand you over to me, and I'll strike you down and cut off your head.

Today I will give the carcasses of the Philistine army to the birds of the air

and the beasts of the earth, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel.

All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear

that the LORD saves;

for the battle is the LORD's,

and he will give all of you into our hands."

-1 Samuel 17. 45-47